As I only told it last night to Marcel, and he posted the conversation immediately on his blog (with my permission, of course), I guess it is kind of public now.

My knowledge about geography is soooo limited (well history as well, but that's another topic). Last night I blamed everything on the teacher, but the French gentleman edited that part out.

Well, it's a bit too little too late to blame it on the teacher. I'm an adult and I should assume responsibility for my past. Plus it is never too late to learn, and being informed is easy enough these days.

Anyway my error went something like this... I heard on the radio that Israel was going to build a wall on the border with Egypt. My first thought wasn't 'Ohh, so they're neighbours, I didn't know that!'

My exact comment was... 'Are they stupid? They are on different continents! Who proofreads their texts? Idiots!!!' when in fact the idiot was... ummm. ME.

To support my line of thought I googled Israel and Egypt and of course the first map I found showed the common border... Ok, my mistake. Sorry radio people for making you idiots. (well, for this time only, because generally, well never mind...)

In my defence, I want to point out that I was correct about them being on different continents Israel in Asia and Egypt in Africa, but... now I know that they are neighbors too.

This is to prove that I'll learn as long as I'm alive. Nobody knows everything, and you'd even go mad to retain so much information, that's why we've been blessed with books and Internet.

But as far as geography is concerned I prefer to learn it the old fashion... by travelling, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know whether israel and egypt are neighbours...Is it because we were colleagues at school at geography?

Nobody knows...hihi. We're lucky that google exists :)

Anonymous said...

So, as I see it, eventually, we do blame it on the teacher... he he he. Anyway, as long as there's google, no one needs to know about our 'limitations'.

Post a Comment