Am I right, or am I right?


Where do YOU see yourself in five years' time?

It is a question you only get at a job interview, right? Wrong! Believe me, it has come up in normal conversations as well. It seems that there really are people sitting around and making heavy planning, like... "in about one year I'll be doing that, which will allow me in a couple of years to move on to, which will finally get me in 5 years' time to be..."

I admit that I don't do this. Meaning the most I planned ahead for was may one year, but I'm not sure.

I never dreamed about going to the United States, let alone plan on it. I thought about pursuing a scholarship, but I didn't conceive a plan of attack. Did I expect a job opportunity in advertising? Hell no! But that's what makes life worth living.

Too much planning spoils the surprise, and no surprises makes life boring and everyone cranky. That is a statement I trully believe in.

Plus, if you are an optimist, like me, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment, because there are dozens of variables you cannot control, but affect the outcome of the situation. At least that is how I see things.

My strategy is short term planning, without thinking too much ahead, because if I follow long term goals, I may miss out on some interesting opportunities in the present.

0 comments:

Post a Comment